It is possible that intellectuals can make contributions to managing this crisis of democracy, but don’t count on the corner of the intellectual domain called “economics.” There economics professors teaching graduate students busily imprison the minds of students in the neo-classical prison or other simplistic mathematical models from which only few escape. Is it not risible, for example, that the macro model employed by the U.S. Federal Reserve uses the “representative individual” to represent all of us. Because that individual is both creditor and debtor, finance drops out of the model—and that in a model guiding the Fed! (Read Atif Mian and Amir Sufi HOUSE OF DEBT …. https://www.amazon.com/House-Debt-Recession-Prevent-Happening/dp/022627165X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1467384370&sr=1-1&keywords=atif+mian ). Or, carefully look at our profession’s definition of “social welfare,” another risible conceptual construct. We are a profession devoted to thinking about averages – annual growth in average real GDP --, with only a few worrying about variances (e.g., Emmanuel Saez). We leave variances to sociologists and political scientists and taxi drivers.

So along with the new political thinking Brexit seems to demand, we economists might junk much of what we teach, excepting behavioral economics, which holds promise.

I have not seen the Chilcott report, describing the role of the poodle in the Iraq fiasco. May and I suffered mightily as a result of the poodle’s yapping and still can’t stand this glib grand stander. By the way, our son was in charge of biological weapons gear which for his unit, a light Armored Reconnaissance Regiment (LAR). The poodle had warned us that Saddam could deploy biological weapons on short notice. Our son’s LAR’s anti biological weapons system—get this—was a truck load of chickens! They were to fasten one chicken to each light armored vehicle and when the chicken died put on their biological suits. But all the chicken died once his unit was over the berm between Kuwait and Iraq, kicking up enough dust to choke all the chickens.  You can imagine how reassured we, his parents, were by this fancy equipment. But the system sure was cheap – maybe even cost effective ex ante. His unit also did not have enough flak jackets, so the officers gave theirs to the enlisted men. Only the Brits could aptly summarize the preparations for this war. I encourage you to watch this “documentary”  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nohGiQmOxlc

From: Anglo-American Health Policy Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alan Maynard
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2016 4:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: From Elvis Costello's autobiography

Dear Ted and all

As ever you are too nice in your comments on the UK referendum shambles!!

The British referendum was a training ground for Trump and others intent on manufacturing chaos. Sadly opponents are lackluster and rutted in complacent maintenance of gross income and wealth inequalities supported by tax evading/ avoiding corporate empires. Climate change, resultant migration inflation, and robotics offer some nice challenges for us ineffectual liberals! We should worry about the inheritance of our offspring!

In the meantime the British pantomime continues with laughter drowning in tears!

Be of good cheer despite duplicity and lies clouding our lives

Alan

PS Enjoy next week's long delayed Chilcott report on the Iraq war. Blair's love affair with your President cost the world so much!
Sent from my iPad