Dear all,
as part of the upcoming WALKING WOMEN events at Somerset House (16th and 17th July) we are organising a wikipedia edit-a-thon. Wikipedia is an important repository of shared knowledge, with its pages ranking top in google searches. But less than 10% of its contributors identify as female, resulting in skewed content and gender bias.
Edit-a-thon sessions seek to address this gender gap - by actively engaging a female editorship, and improving coverage of women artists, based on the rhizomatic Art+Feminism model.

We are holding a preparatory workshop on Tuesday July 5th, from 1-5pm at the Live Art Development Agency’s (LADA) study room in Hackney Wick. LADA are partners in the WALKING WOMEN events, and will be providing a library of walking women books for perusal at Somerset House.

This is an informal event in which we will run through the process of editing on Wikipedia, identify artists whose entries we want to improve (or create) and locate sources from which to work. The focus is on a collaborative and supportive environment in which we work together to develop skills and share knowledge. We hope that participants in this workshop will also take part in the Somerset House weekend edit-a-thon; sharing their skills and facilitating wider participation in the session there.

People of all gender identifications are welcome at this event.
Please bring a laptop if you have one, and check out the ‘learn’pages on the Art+Feminism site if you’d like to be ahead of the game! http://art.plusfeminism.org/learn/
Please rsvp to Clare Qualmann: [log in to unmask] to let us know how many to expect.
All best,
Clare and Amy

https://www.facebook.com/events/1092137837520543/
LADA can be a little hard to find directions here: http://www.thisisliveart.co.uk/contact
Unit 7, Queen's Yard, White Post Lane, E9 5EN London

Clare Qualmann FHEA
Interim Programme Leader, Drama, Applied Theatre and Performance
University of East London
USS 3.05
1 Salway Road
London
E15 1NF

I am part time and normally work Monday - Thursday