Dear Colleague,

As you may already be aware, the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) and Carnegie Mellon are co-sponsoring a public event focused on Safety and Control for Artificial Intelligence. The event, scheduled for Tuesday June 28, 2016, is one of four related events described in the White House blog (https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016/05/03/preparing-future-artificial-intelligence). The focus of the June 28 event is on the technical challenges of safety and control (https://www.cmu.edu/safartint/). This is based on the observation of many AI practitioners that the ability to ensure safety and control is becoming more important to the future development and adoption of AI even than improvements in the AI algorithms themselves.

The June 28th OSTP/CMU event is open to the public, but please note that registration is first-come first-served. I encourage you to register promptly at:http://cps-vo.org/group/safartint/registration. The roster of speakers is available at https://www.cmu.edu/safartint/schedule.html.

The event will bring together technical leaders from diverse backgrounds for the purpose of developing a forward-looking technical perspective on the issues of safety and control.

I also want to mention that on the day before, Monday June 27th, Carnegie Mellon is hosting an in-depth exploratory workshop focused on the more technical aspects of AI and safety, ranging from statistical learning models with explanatory capabilities to safety engineering for systems with embedded AI functionality. We have some invited speakers, but there will also be opportunities for additional short talks based on submitted white papers -- see details at registration site. Results of discussions on this first day will help inform the plenary workshop on the second day.

Please email us at [log in to unmask] if you have any questions regarding these events.

Best regards,
William L Scherlis
Professor of Computer Science
Director, Institute for Software Research
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University