I, too, found Richard’s essay on Book Vi immensely helpful.  I also remember a particularly striking talk, subsequently published, that  he gave at K-zoo on the bear baby of Book VI (and more).  I also appreciated his quiet cordiality.

Judith

From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Miller
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 1:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Richard Neuse

Fellow Spenserians,

Harry Berger asked me to forward the news that Richard Neuse (in the words of his colleague Jim Rhodes) "died peacefully in his sleep on June 12."

I met Richard at Kalamazoo decades ago, thrilled because I was at the time under the sway of his then-recent (but still-important) essay on "Book VI as Conclusion to The Faerie Queene."

Let's take a moment to remember as another one slips away.

David
--
David Lee Miller
University of South Carolina