My word, talk about Homer nodding.  Kitchener died in June 1916, when HMS Hampshire struck a mine off Orkney, having just left Scapa Flow to take him and a small staff to Russia on a military mission. All his staff, and most of Hampshire's crew were drowned.
    Of course there were casualties at Omdurman, but I don't think that anyone amongst the 'nobs' on either side were killed  (This is not to belittle those who died on both sides, but I make the point merely because Kitchener was specifically mentioned.  The Mahdi himself, Khalifa Abdullah, having escaped after the battle, was killed in what is now South Sudan, about 14 months later.
    Alastair Wilson