Thank you Andrew. Hazel

Sent from my iPhone

On 2016-06-16, at 1:02 AM, "Andrew Booth" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

We have examined peer support using realist techniques for both group clinics and for postnatal depression. Many mechanisms that they use will be common to numerous conditions. Published as:

Morrell CJ, Sutcliffe P, Booth A, Stevens J, Scope A, Stevenson M, et al.A systematic review, evidence synthesis and meta-analysis of quantitative and qualitative studies evaluating the clinical effectiveness, the cost-effectiveness, safety and acceptability of interventions to prevent postnatal depression. Health Technol Assess 2016;20(37)

 Chapter 8. Results of realist synthesis: what works for whom?
http://www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk/hta/volume-20/issue-37#abstract

Booth A, Cantrell A, Preston L, Chambers D, Goyder E. What is the evidence for the effectiveness, appropriateness and feasibility of group clinics for patients with chronic conditions? A systematic review. Health Serv Deliv Res 2015;3(46) Chapter 4: Realist review of quantitative and qualitative evidence,
http://www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk/hsdr/volume-3/issue-46#abstract

From my experience of leading the realist synthesis elements of both these projects you should consider that there may be different mechanisms relating to whether peer support is delivered one-to-one or in a group and whether the peer support is facilitated by a health professional or whether it is self sustaining.

The role of peer support more wildly again with some common mechanisms is covered in depth in a realist synthesis from our ScHARR team:
http://www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk/phr/volume-3/issue-3#abstract
Harris J, Springett J, Croot L, Booth A, Campbell F, Thompson J, et al.Can community-based peer support promote health literacy and reduce inequalities? A realist review. Public Health Res 2015;3(3)

Best wishes

Andrew