Hello everyone!

I was hoping if anyone had some advice regarding a project I am about to embark upon.

I've been trying over the past few months to come up with a great idea for an hour-long science communication live show and been trying out different formats and content and have now found the perfect thing. A science comedy show about same-sex sexual behaviour in animals! (i.e. homosexuality). How common it is, the beneficial reasons for this behaviour, how it might have evolved and interesting stories related around its research, etc. On the scale between science and comedy, I'm pitching it about half-way. You can leave and genuinely have learnt something but also had a good laugh (think Festival of The Spoken Nerd but with less demos).

The hope is not just to have a fun comedy night, but also make science part of more mainstream culture and support LGBTQ rights in humans too.

I've got a producer who is also a writer and comedian (non-science) as well as all round bad-ass so the next step is securing funding! We are hoping to get funding from different sources to support the different aspects of the project. Not just the Arts Council etc for the comedy side, but also science organisations for the science side. This is why I am emailing. Do any of you know of any particular grants or sources of funding that might be appropriate? I am looking very hard but at the moment I can't find anything that would fit. The Wellcome Trust has grants that might fit but only for broadcasting (and this would be a live show that tours around the country to science festivals, fringe festivals, theatres, museum lates, etc). Do you wonderful people happen to know an institution/trust/individuals that might be able to help?

I did a trial 9 minutes (well 9 minutes with Steve Cross staring at me pointedly for 3 more) at the last Science Showoff if you want to get a feel for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9Eom3m-5Mk

Any advice or recommendations would so so appreciated!

All the best,

Florence Schechter

YouTube: youtube.com/user/floschechter
Twitter: @floschechter

psci-com how-to: Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask]. If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send reqests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages)