***Apologies for cross-posting***

Dear List,

The British Library, through its Save our Sounds programme, is engaged in an exciting project, Unlocking the UK’s Sound Heritage, which aims to preserve and make accessible historic sound recordings held in collections throughout the UK.  As part of the development work for this project, 200 people have already responded to an in depth survey about caring for historic audio collections.  If you were one of them you don’t need to do this shorter survey.

If you haven’t already told us about how you look after your audio archive we would love to hear from you. Please take a few minutes to respond to a short 14-question survey.

The survey can be found at the following link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BritishLibrary-UKSoundHeritage-14

This survey has been made possible thanks to a development grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.  The British Library is working with ten hub partners across the UK and we will be using the information you give us to help shape the second stage application.

We thank you for taking the time to contribute to this important project. Your participation is essential and helps to ensure that the project is designed to bring the most resources and the best support towards lifting the UK's capacity for and knowledge about audio preservation.

Both surveys build on the results of the National Audit of UK Sound Collections.  A copy of the report on the National Audit of UK Sound Collections and the resulting Directory of UK Sound Collections can be found here:

http://www.bl.uk/projects/uk-sound-directory

If you have any questions about the project or about the survey itself, please get in touch with Sue Davis:

With thanks,

James Knight

T +44 (0) 207 412 3570

The British Library