    Mark> On 6/27/2016 1:13 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:
    >> Debian (and Ubuntu on a similar but not identical schedule) will
    >> move from the existing openssl to the new openssl.  At that point
    >> software needs to be built against the new openssl; software that
    >> cannot do that will be dropped.

    Mark> Is this schedule one that is best measured in days, best
    Mark> measured in weeks, or best measured in months?  Knowing that
    Mark> would help us to figure out when to put in this work, relative
    Mark> to other ongoing work.

I didn't know when I wrote the message.
The discussion of Debian scheduling is at
https://bugs.debian.org/827061

The maintainer wants to go "fast" but the release team is skeptical of
the 405 broken packages.
So, absolutely not measured in days. My guess is small number of months
(1-2), especially if significant progress is made on the key packages at
the ongoing debcamp and debconf.

I'll note that this issue may be particularly challenging for
moonshot-gss-eap because we're embedding an old  version of
wpa_supplicant.
Upgrading would be a great idea but would be complicated because of our
channel binding changes.
Getting those into shape to upstream would significantly reduce ongoing
upgrade complexity.