Dear Colleague

Gypsy, Traveller & Roma Engagement & Trust in Health Services – invitation to have your say.

Researchers at the Universities of Dundee and York, in collaboration with Leeds Gypsy and Traveller Exchange are examining ways of enhancing engagement and trust between health services and Gypsy, Traveller and Roma communities, as a means to improving the health and health outcomes of these groups. We are particularly interested in maternity services, child health services and child dental health services but would also like to hear about any mainstream health services.

To assist us in conducting our research, we are seeking the views and experiences of UK-based:

·        Civil society/third sector organisations who work with Gypsy, Traveller or Roma communities OR those concerned with maternity, child or child dental health services

·        Health and social care practitioners who work with, or have previously worked with, Gypsy, Traveller and/or Roma communities

·        Policymakers and health and social care service commissioners.

We would like to hear about your experiences of working with Gypsy, Traveller or Roma communities in the UK, of what has worked well, and what has been less successful.  We are also interested in hearing your views of the barriers and facilitators to engagement and trust.

As well as inviting you to respond to the consultation yourself, we ask for your help in circulating this e-mail widely to your colleagues and others you know who have valuable experiences to contribute to this important study. We apologise if you have received this e-mail more than once.

Please follow this link to access the online questionnaire, including more details about taking part:

https://dundee.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/engagementandtrust

Please complete the questionnaire by 8 July 2016. Thank you to those who have already responded.

If you have any problems or questions, please do not hesitate to contact the research team at: [log in to unmask]

With very many thanks for your time and support,

Alison and Helen

Alison McFadden (Principal Investigator)                     Helen Jones

Senior Research Fellow                                                    CEO

Mother and Infant Research Unit                                   Leeds Gypsy and Traveller Exchange (Leeds GATE)

School of Nursing and Health Sciences                         Crown Point House, 167-169 Cross Green Lane
University of Dundee                                                        Leeds LS9 0BD

11 Airlie Place

Dundee DD1 4HJ

This study is funded by the Department of Health Policy Research Programme.  The work is supported by a User Advisory Group with representation from Gypsy, Traveller and Roma women and a Stakeholder Advisory Group with representation from health and social care practitioners, academics, and public health and community engagement experts.