From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Laura Iannuzzi
Sent: 28 June 2016 08:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: use of behaviours of operating theatres in labour wards

Hello,

In our hospital in Florence we have been asked to modify our 'behaviours' in the labour wards and follow the operating theatre 'rules' such as  conforming our dress code in labour rooms and all labour ward areas (thus not only when in the operating theatre within there) under the discourse of infection controls and best practice.

As the scenario seems that we are going to face a big step backward ( we fought for years to remove all those things that were making our labour wards like little operating theatres and midwives like operating staff for the sake of women and families and normal of birth..)

my request of help is on this: have you got any references, evidence and anything relevant to suggest me to look at that can help in supporting the fact that midwives do not need to dress and behave as in operating staff in all areas and that is not impacting on infections while is crucial in facilitating normal birth and all the connected themes (e.g. birth is not a pathology, environment matters).

this morning I was so happy for the fact that why I was looking for literature I knew I had a forum like that can support, that it was even more evident for me the importance of the network you created. thanks infinitely for that

Laura Iannuzzi