*apologies for cross-referencing*

There is under one month to go until Brighton is taken over by hundreds of library and information professionals for the CILIP Conference and there is still time to register your place. http://cilipconference.org.uk

The Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals will be hosting our annual conference on 12-13 July at the iconic Brighton Dome – a Grade I listed multi-arts venue – originally built as a stable block for the Prince Regent’s horses!

It will be centred around three main themes: Managing Information, Using Technology and Everyday Innovation, and will invite delegates to share experiences and offer practical advice. The speaker programme, with 31 breakout sessions across the two days, is designed to deliver real insights that you can apply in your own work, whichever part of the sector you work in and whatever your level of experience so that you can return to your organisation feeling connected, valued and inspired with ideas for the future. There will be talks on subjects as varied as copyright, data stewardship, information literacy, public sector partnerships, information governance, privacy, social media, user engagement plus many many more. Organisations represented include Carnegie UK Trust, Morgan Stanley, Bodleian Libraries, Tinder Foundation, Royal Shakespeare Company and Ministry of Defence.

One of the conference’s keynote speakers is Professor Sir Nigel Shadbolt, Professor of Computer Science at the University of Oxford and Principal of Jesus College. Sir Nigel has acted as an advisor to government on open data where he helped oversee a transformation in the way government data was used. He is the Co-founder of the Open Data Institute (ODI) with Sir Tim Berners-Lee, and will be speaking about the “opportunities and challenges of open data”. He will set out a clear role for information professionals in helping to manage and extract value from a firm’s data. Scott Bonner from Ferguson Municipal Public Library will share the story of how he and his staff helped their community in turmoil, following the killing of Michael Brown in 2014. Closing the conference, Dr Lauren Smith will discuss how shared professional values and ethics are fundamental to enabling us to responsibly and effectively do our diverse jobs as collectors, preservers, providers, facilitators, educators and more. She will talk about why our principles matter so much within the context of access to and the production of knowledge, connecting ideas around how whose voices get heard within society is an issue we as a profession also need to address.

Delegates can also join take part in the Fringe programme, social events, library tours and a “Your Career” strand as well as meet the CILIP Special Interest Groups.

For the full programme, details on the Fringe events, the other keynote speakers and on the social activities arranged, visit http://cilipconference.org.uk

Organisations who book four or more full conference delegate places will be entitled to 50% off their fourth delegate place, and each place after that.

We look forward to welcoming you to Brighton.

                                                 _

Rachel Kudlick

Events Marketing Officer

(Working Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays)

CILIP

7 Ridgmount Street

London

WC1E 7AE