From: An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jon Bentley
Sent: 10 June 2016 11:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [lis-e-resources] Athens redirector

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the questions around our Redirector tool.

We launched the tool last year focusing on international organisations and suppliers within the OpenAthens federation to make sure the fundamental technology works. And it does!

We can easily pass end-users to the page of the resource they need, recognising whether the user is coming from an on-site IP range or off-site and adjusting the need to present their credentials accordingly. For this we use a 'proxy-like' prefix which makes links easy to manage as you simply append it to the target page.
https://docs.openathens.net/display/public/MD/Getting+started+with+the+Redirector

Since then we have focused on ensuring the Redirector will work with the UK Access Management Federation.
There have been challenges in managing resources and/or organisations that sit across more than one Federation so we are working hard to ensure that we have systems in place that can manage non-standard set ups.

If there is consistent set up across the UK Access Management Federation we are confident the Redirector will provide the simple, consistent prefix that supports libraries in setting up links. https://docs.openathens.net/display/public/MD/Redirector+link+generator

We are undertaking extensive testing with major UK Academic and other non-Academic organisation to make sure there are no unexpected pitfalls for libraries'  who may have more complex configurations Once that is done we will ensure documentation and training is available to help people take advantage of the tool, which will be provided at no additional cost as part of an Institutions Annual Licence Fee.
If you, or anyone has questions about the set-up, Ian Winship, our UK account manager, will be able to talk you through the different options: [log in to unmask]

Many thanks
Jon Bentley
Head of Product Marketing
PS I love your quote from Coleman Hawkins

[log in to unmask] | 01225 470 427 www.eduserv.org.uk | @eduserv | eduserv.org.uk/blog

Eduserv is a company limited by guarantee (registered in England & Wales, company number: 3763109) and a charity (charity number 1079456), whose registered office is at Royal Mead, Railway Place, Bath, BA1 1SR.