Dear All,
I am still struggling to come to terms with the fact that  an  unsavoury pack of demagogues, outright liars and poisonous bigots have won the referendum with their xenophobic campaign: the word 'foreigner' became a term of abuse only  to be topped by 'immigrant' or  even worse 'refugee'.  Michael  Gove, Boris Johnson, and Gisela Stuart ended up as  Nigel Farage's  puppets as they  too  adopted a register that reduced  the standards of public debate to  hitherto unknown  inflammatory  levels.    In a context where the next British Prime Minister might be a man who compared the EU with Hitler's  Europe,  the comments about the SZ coverage strike me as a form of displacement.

Anne

Professor of German,

Director of Research

School of Modern Languages and Cultures