Here is a second session I have had accepted at AGU this year (lucky me) for those of you investigating deformation and fluid interactions, and particularly if you are thinking about this over the dynamic scales of the seismic cycle. Invited speakers are to be confirmed.

Session Title: T006. Dynamic interactions between structure, fluids and geochemistry

The macroscopic behaviour of rocks and the formation of ore deposits depends upon physico-chemical processes in complex systems. Large advances in our understanding of deformation in the crust, the seismic cycle, fluid-rock interaction and multi-phase fluid chemistry have occurred in parallel but the feedbacks between these are not yet explored. Key questions include: How far do fluids migrate during earthquake-aftershock sequences or earthquake swarms and what are the implications for phase separation and fluid-rock reaction? How quickly can reactions proceed or ore mineralization occur in such dynamic systems? How are fault zone and crustal properties (strength, permeability etc) altered by coseismic and interseismic multi-phase fluids? What impacts do changing chemistry and fluctuating stress states have on dissolution? In order to make progress we must understand how mechanical processes (deformation, fracturing, crystal-plasticity) are coupled to chemical processes (dissolution/precipitation, alteration). We welcome interdisciplinary contributions across multiple scales.

Session ID: 13903
Section/Focus Group: Tectonophysics

Regards,
Steven Micklethwaite (Monash University)
Steve Ingebritsen (USGS)