Here is a second session I have had accepted at AGU this year (lucky me)
for those of you investigating deformation and fluid interactions, and
particularly if you are thinking about this over the dynamic scales of the
seismic cycle. Invited speakers are to be confirmed.

Session Title: T006. Dynamic interactions between structure, fluids and
geochemistry

The macroscopic behaviour of rocks and the formation of ore deposits
depends upon physico-chemical processes in complex systems. Large advances
in our understanding of deformation in the crust, the seismic cycle,
fluid-rock interaction and multi-phase fluid chemistry have occurred in
parallel but the feedbacks between these are not yet explored. Key
questions include: How far do fluids migrate during earthquake-aftershock
sequences or earthquake swarms and what are the implications for phase
separation and fluid-rock reaction? How quickly can reactions proceed or
ore mineralization occur in such dynamic systems? How are fault zone and
crustal properties (strength, permeability etc) altered by coseismic and
interseismic multi-phase fluids? What impacts do changing chemistry and
fluctuating stress states have on dissolution? In order to make progress we
must understand how mechanical processes (deformation, fracturing,
crystal-plasticity) are coupled to chemical processes
(dissolution/precipitation, alteration). We welcome interdisciplinary
contributions across multiple scales.

Session ID: 13903
Section/Focus Group: Tectonophysics

Regards,
Steven Micklethwaite (Monash University)
Steve Ingebritsen (USGS)