From: Dave Pattison
Date: 2016-06-23 02:19
To: GEO-METAMORPHISM
Subject: staurolite-kyanite relations

Hi all. Do any of you know of samples/photomicrographs showing textural evidence of of staurolite breaking down to form kyanite in metapelites? I have examples of staurolite being replaced or pseudomorphed by andalusite, and by sillimanite (the latter commonly in association with muscovite pseudomorphs after staurolite, as Tom Foster has documented), but not by kyanite. In the St-Ky samples I have observed, staurolite and kyanite appear to coexist with no apparent reaction relationship, or they may be intergrown. But, my sample size is not that great, hence my request. Regards to all, Dave

David R.M. Pattison

Department of Geoscience

University of Calgary

ES 154 | 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, CANADA T2N 1N4

T: 403.220.3263 | [log in to unmask] | www.ucalgary.ca/pattison