Dear FSLusers,

I have both standard masks obtained from T1 images (1mm isotropic) as well as masks which were drawn on a high-resolution scan for the medial temporal lobe (0.4x0.4mm in coronal plane, 3mm thick slices). The resolution of my DTI data is 2mm isotropic. I would like to extract MD and FA values from these masks and I would appreciate very much if you could give me your opinion on the best way to proceed.

-For the T1 masks:
1)   Register FA or MD maps to T1 brain extracted volumes (flirt options –interp nearestneighbour and 6DOF)
2)   Invert the transformation file (convert_xfm  -inverse)
3)   Register masks to FA or MD maps  (flirt options –interp nearestneighbour, 6DOF and use of the inverted .mat file)
4)   Extract values (fslmeants)
Does it look like a good way to proceed? I read in some publications that transformation matrices obtained from registrations of FA maps to T1 images could be applied to MD maps. Is this a step I’m forgetting here?

- For the T2 high res masks:
This might be very obvious but I’m wondering if I should follow the same steps or add a step and register the masks to T1 images first.

I also read that the epi_reg function could be recommended. In my case, should I apply the same steps using the epi_reg command instead of FLIRT?

I apologize for the basic questions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Alix