From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> on behalf of Taha Abdullah <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Wednesday, 29 June 2016 at 22:59
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: [FSL] Running First with 0.7 mm isotropic voxels

Dear FSL team,

I have a fairly large data set and the majority of the images have voxel dimensions in 1mm isotropic, however, there is a large number in which the voxel dimensions are 0.7 mm isotropic. When running run_first_all on 0.7 isotropic dimensions the values generated by fslstats were significantly overestimaed i.e. unilateral hippocampal volumes > 5000 thalamic volumes > 10000. All subject had an overestimation of volume. I have read some documentation on FIRST and as well as other methods to 'fix' the partial volume effect occurring within these 0.7mm isotropic voxel images. Yet, all still fail to correct for this overestimation.

My most fruitful attempt was using *vtk files and using first_utils --meshToVol with the baseline image as MNI_152 or subjid_all_fast_firstseg or original T1 image and when running fslstats on these images I have fairly accurate volumes for the 0.7mm isotropic images with this mehod. However, I attempted this same method on the 1mm isotropic data and the values were now underestimated i.e. when running fslstats subjid_all_fast_firstseg.nii.gz -l low thresh -u upper thresh -V; the outputs for ex in the L_Hipp are 3500 (a reasonable volume), however, when using the *vtk files and running first_utils --meshToVol the output was approximately 2200. Could anyone please advise on the best/accurate method to extract correct subcortical ROI volumes for the 0.7 mm isotropic data?

Best,
Taha