Over the years, I have heard and read many claims of dramatic placebo effects.    The claims of strong placebo effects have not been replicable, or if replicated, have been based on studies with poor control and subjective outcome scales without  blinding/masking, that is, measurement bias almost certainly occurred.   The belief in a strong, generalizable  placebo effects – a belief based on writings from the 1950s, as far as I know -- have been effectively disconfirmed.   “Placebo effects” need to be much better and more clearly defined.   More limited psycho-somatic effects still occur in certain situations, in my opinion, but not a strong generalizable real effect.

Sorry If I sound dogmatic, but over the years I have so many times -- hundreds and hundreds of times --  heard claims of “placebo effect” used as a cover for provision of “treatment” is without evidence base.

For this audience, I suspect that my message is just the need to clearly define what is meant by a “placebo effect” and how it can be distinctly measured.

Mark V. Johnston, Ph.D.

Professor, College  of Health Sciences,

University  of  Wisconsin – Milwaukee,

(414)  229-3616