Global Disability Watch (GDW) is pleased to announce that Karen Soldatic will be providing pro bono support to GDW as Head of Research.

Global Disability Watch is a one stop platform monitoring, collating and reporting timely, accessible and usable ground driven information on disability, disability rights violations and development policy and practice from a range of global contexts, prioritising the global South (see www.globaldisability.org).

Karen’s role will be to work with academics, activists and practitioners to source and support the development of research briefs and reports for public dissemination through GDW’s global platform.

The aim is to provide short and targeted briefs and articles reporting findings and also critical perspectives that are accessible to a range of audiences and that can help inform the work of advocates, activists and practitioners working in the field.

Our objective is to provide a space that makes academic research and findings accessible, reachable and useable by a range of audiences, specifically those outside traditional academic circles, and in particular in the global South. We are also driven by the need for information that is not confined to closed academic journals behind paywalls and limited by complex academic language.

If you are an academic or practitioner and have recently completed a study or written an academic article, we would like to hear from you.

We welcome synthesised research briefs and reports on all areas of disability (e.g. disability and poverty, livelihoods, health and rehabilitation, rights etc.) especially those of direct interest to the global disability rights movement and their allies. We also prioritise submissions by academics and practitioners from the Global South.

Briefs should ideally not be longer than 1500 words, written in accessible language that presents the information in a clear and concise (yet critical) manner. We also accept audio-visual material (see for example http://globaldisability.org/2016/03/30/responding-violence-disabled-women).

All articles are reviewed by friendly and supportive peers.

If you would like to contribute, have emerging research findings, or wish to provide a research briefing on a particular issue of interest, please email Karen directly on: [log in to unmask]