Dear all,

being back at a planning department after some time, I was wondering if you can recommend any literature on planning the sexy city – that is on how to promote eroticism, lust, sex in the city? Ideally, I’m looking for examples that go beyond mere place marketing for homo- or heterosexual tourists or art projects, but I’d also be interested in those.

Best,

jenny

P.S.: Having studied gender and space as well as sexuality and space for quite some time, I’m fully aware of both legal constraints (e.g. when challenging the public/private binary that constrains certain forms of sexuality to certain places or when making space for (partially) criminalized sexualities such as sex work etc.) and the multiple contradictions that such a project might easily entail (e.g. involuntarily planning the sexist city; buying into neoliberal discourses of tolerance and sexiness as image factor, promoting sexual violence, fostering heteronormativity or homonormativity, pinkwashing etc.).