Hi,
"The North", did not only vote to be out of Europe but also as a stance against the dominance of the SE of England and the Londoncentricity of so many key decisions. The assumption that those of us in t'north are uneducated and therefore not able to critically reflect on the issues (despite the rubbish propagated by both sides for months on end) is patrionising and divisive. Frankly it wasn't about immigration but about more equitable and fair distribution of wealth.
Perhaps we should respect the outcome of the 1st referendum as representative of the voices of the voters; an unprecedented turnout, for example 86% in Derbyshire with a leave majority of 57.9% is now being discredited by calls for another referendum. To not respect the outcome simply discredits the notion of a democracy.
The wealth divide is stark; I was in London on the 25th and overheard a young man bemoan the fact that he would have to start cutting back on his leisure as he needed to save £50K a year in savings so he could retire by 40. I still see genuine pockets of extreme poverty in the UK, especially among families and older people; they've had enough of empty promises. I really find it hard to understand why this was such a surprise outcome.
Different worlds and these huge gaps in expectations and opportunities are at the heart of the Brexit.
Well it is looking black ove'r Bills Mothers Hill!
Tara,
Fiona

Dr Fiona Marshall,
Scaling the Peaks Research Project (2015-19),
Alzheimer's Society Senior Research Fellow,
Institute of Mental Health,
University of Nottingham Innovation Park,
University of Nottingham,
Triumph Road,
Nottingham.
NG7 2TU.

Work phone; 0115 8231294

Mobile; 07920813623

Please note new email address; [log in to unmask]