Glyn,

While pejorative, it doesn’t carry the connotation Stateside, but the audience matters. We jump on “retarded” here. Apologies.

I expressed my frustration though exactly because of the ramifications for refugees who are, as we know, such a fantastically vulnerable population. I hesitate to call Trump, et al. fascists. The militarism isn’t there …. yet. The appeal to racism, homophobia and authoritarianism is disturbing naturally. There’s an acronym bouncing around that sort of captures it: WHATs — White Heterosexual Authoritarian Tax Avoiders.

Toby Martin Applegate, PhD
Lecturer in Human Geography
Department of Geosciences
The University of Massachusetts-Amherst