At this point the petition for a 2nd EU referendum has collected over 3,259,000 signatures.

That's the good news.

The bad - look at the map of where the signatures come from. The nation is deeply divided, with large numbers of signers from the wealthy / educated regions, e.g. Oxford, Cambridge, the Cotswolds, Brighton,  - in London; Hampstead, Richmond.

Regions conspicuous for the absence of signers include the Thames estuary, Yorkshire and Humberside, Hartlepool.

This suggests a disconnect between the govt, the wealthy, ...and the academic elite....on the one side and the C2DE classes on the other. The vote against the EU was in fact a vote against the maldistribution of gains from Globalisation.

The tragedy of this is that - whilst we could not, SHOULD NOT, stop migration - free movement of people is a valuable right for all - we  - that is our Govt, the EU governnance, -  could have ensured a fairer distribution of the gains of globalisation.

For the sake of enriching the rich, we have put at peril the gains of the EU - 75 years of peace on a warlike continent, the biggest unification of Europe for 2,000 years.

Note for the wealthiest 0.1%.   Gated communities are great for excluding the great unwashed riff raff - but they don't exclude bombs and tanks.

Dr Hillary J. Shaw
Director and Senior Research Consultant
Shaw Food Solutions
Newport