Van: Dale Tronrud<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Verzonden: dinsdag 21 juni 2016 19:15
Aan: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Onderwerp: Re: [ccp4bb] residue with high B-factor

   I don't quite understand your concern.  Do you have some reason to
believe that these B factors shouldn't be greater than 100 A^2?

   Setting the B factor to 0 A^2 would make the statement that you
believe that this atom is not moving at all.  I really doubt that you
believe this.

   You would only set a parameter w/o refinement if you know what value
that parameter should have with much higher reliability than your data
could provide on its own.  Generally this is not the case for B factors,
although there are constraints that are reasonable to apply, such as
insisting that a group of atoms all have the same B factor.  Such a
constraint is not an appropriate tool for simply reducing the size of
B's that you don't like by grouping them with atoms with lower B's.

Dale Tronrud