From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">David Bircumshaw
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Cicada/ Nada?

or 'well does it'. that is to say does Robert Grenier's drawing poem 'Cicada', discussed in the link below, do or 'perform' the many interesting things or effects attributed to it by Stephen Ratcliffe?

Or is this a case of 'culture machine' in action, creating class-privileged moments of perception for those who can afford the leisure time to consume them?

Or is just a case of sadly naive philosophical realism, in that it believes there is a out-there that can be captured in words, or maybe a reality that be experienced 'behind' the words, when the reality of language is that it is only is language?

Or is it as Ratcliffe presents it?

(for myself I quite like Grenier's writing, including the 'drawing' poems, though I could easily have too much of them)