Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on this list has experience in scoping a very large scale cataloguing project? We have an extremely large collection, consisting of around 150,000 Victorian letters, which will need to be catalogued to item level if we are to plan a digitisation project. We have already undertaken a small sampling project and estimate that to catalogue the entire collection could take anything from 7-11 years.

I have to present a series of options on how to catalogue the collection. Options include to split the project into smaller projects and digitise a section at a time, or to have a number of cataloguers working on the collection at the same time, under a project manager.

Has anyone done anything like this and can tell me what worked for you, or what didn't?

Thanks,

Vicki Perry
Head of Archives and Historic Collections
Hatfield House