Dear colleagues,

In the Netherlands, there is an intriguing find of charred, twisted fibres of flax (Linum usitatissimum) for a Late Neolithic (Single Grave Culture = Corded Ware) site (see esp. p. 134 of the attached publication by Lucy Kubiak-Martens). For a review on fibre crops, I am highly interested in other early finds of flax fibres (as well as those of hemp, nettle or other fibre plants) throughout Europe, in the case of flax especially in the form of more complete textiles or the typical by-products of flax stem processing. References to review publications of fibre crops outside of Europe would be very welcome as well (off-list?).

The reference for the attached article is:
Kubiak-Martens, L., 2014. Botany: local vegetation and crop cultivation, in: Theunissen, E., Brinkkemper, O., Lauwerier, R.C.G.M., Smit, B.I., van der Jagt, I.M.M. (Eds.), A Mosaic of Habitation at Zeewijk (the Netherlands). Late Neolithic Behavioural Variability in a Dynamic Landscape, Amersfoort (Nederlandse Archeologische Rapporten 47), 129–141.

The full publication (27 MB) can be downloaded at: http://cultureelerfgoed.nl/sites/default/files/publications/nar047-a-mosaic-of-habitation-at-zeewijk-the-netherlands.pdf

Many thanks in advance,

oTTo