HI Steve

An interesting topic.

My take is that context and purpose need to be taken into consideration.

It really depends on what we are using the arts-based method for.

If you think about prototyping that is about getting ideas into a visual form quickly and continuing to develop and push those ideas along which includes form, function and aesthetics.

If we use arts-based methods to explore leadership/managerial development or other ‘conceptual’ ideas then why?  What is the reason for using the arts-based method and therefore which one as well.

What sort of arts-based method is most useful.

I’m curious about the premise around asking students to do work that was better art.  What does he mean by that?  Is he talking about the ‘art of accounting’? Or to be artful in the way they go about accounting and being an accountant.

Is this about identity?

When I work with groups and ask them to explore concepts through arts-based methods I ask them to consider the look and feel of what they are doing.  If the end goal is to create a work of art is it that the focus in and of itself or is it to create a work of art based on the what it means to be a leader/manager?

As a side bar to this small contribution to the discussion I would like to share a link with the group which I think starts to speak about this in some way (in particular if you look at the video about Lines of Enquiry).

Engaging in arts-based methods has the potential to know the world in different ways.

In that video in the link https://theconversation.com/why-is-teaching-kids-to-draw-not-a-more-important-part-of-the-curriculum-60379?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The%20Weekend%20Conversation%20-%205012&utm_content=The%20Weekend%20Conversation%20-%205012+CID_60c76ef53538d8a90e95b17024915569&utm_source=campaign_monitor&utm_term=Why%20is%20teaching%20kids%20to%20draw%20not%20a%20more%20important%20part%20of%20the%20curriculum

I love the idea of the cardiac surgeon drawing how he will go about doing his surgery and sometimes with the blood of the patient (i may have a bias here given my own experiences of undergoing heart surgery).

However I find it inspiring that this person engages with art to think about his practice in different ways - and how he has been influenced by the great polymath Da Vinci.  And how he talks about the beauty of these drawings as well as the practical insight they continue to provide contemporary medicine. Quite fascinating.

Kind regards

Cathryn

Dr Cathryn Lloyd
Founder/Director

phone: +61 406 007 753
skype: maverickminds
Read my articles on LinkedIn

www.maverickminds.biz

The information transmitted is intended to be read by those persons or entity to which it is addressed and may contain content that is not intended for use by any other persons.  Any review, retransmission, distribution or taking of any action from this information is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately and delete from your computer.