Dear Professor Tsepkova

I am a member of he Kiplling Society  and have been very interested by the questions which your students have asked, and which John Walker tells us he has given his own answers to: he also invited us to send our own replies, direct to you, for you to pass on to your students.
     If I answered them all in one message, it would be enormously long, so I propose to send them to you, one studet's questions at a time - here is the first.  If there are any further questions, I shall be very happy to be contacted direct.
    Yours Sincerely,
    Alastair Wilson  (and please just call me Alastair)

Solovyova Victoria:

 - As we know, Kipling's life was quite difficult during his stay in London from the age of 5 till 11. Why didn't his parents help him when needed? Didn't they know how hard it was for Redyard? Did it influence Redyard's relationships with his mother?

Actually, young Rudyard spent the years from the age of 5 to 11 with a family in Southsea, which is next to the naval port of Portsmouth, on the south coast of England.  (It was as though he had been sent to live in a suburb of Sevastopol.)  Without doubt, his parents thought that they were doing the right thing for him – all the British expatriates (then referred to as Anglo-Indians) living in India sent their children home to be educated, because there were no suitable schools in India, and more importantly, India was considered unhealthy for European children.  So it was the accepted practice to send European children home to England from the age of 5-6 onwards.

What does seem strange, and we do not really know the answer, is why Kipling’s parents did not send him to stay with one of his aunts, his mother’s sisters?  In my view, Kipling’s parents would not have wanted to be under an obligation to any one of his mother’s sisters, and there had been an unfortunate visit to his aunt Louisa, when young Rudyard had been 2-3 years old, when he had upset the household with his tantrums.  So it would not have been thought unusual for the two Kipling children to have been boarded with another family – and the family which Mrs. Kipling interviewed before deciding to entrust her children to them was not the same as it later became.  Captain Holloway, the man of the house, was definitely a moderating influence on his wife and son, but he died about 18 months after the Kipling children started to board with him, and his widow became obsessed with what she saw as her duty to bring the Kiplings up in a God-fearing path of righteousness.

Did the Kipling parents know of Kipling’s unhappiness?  Probably not.  In his incomplete autobiography, Something of Myself, Kipling wrote “Often and often afterwards, the beloved aunt asked me why I had never told anyone how I was being treated.” [The “beloved aunt” was his aunt Georgiana Burne-Jones, wife of Sir Edward Burne-Jones, a celebrated Victorian artist – while he was at Southsea, he spent one month every year with his aunt, which was a time of unalloyed pleasure for him.]  Kipling continued “Children tell little more than animals, for what comes to them they accept as eternally established.  Also, badly-treated children have a clear notion of what they are likely to get if they betray the secrets of the prison-house before they are clear of it.”  So, no, the Kipling parents did not know, until it was almost too late.

Did it influence Kipling’s relationships with his mother?  Seemingly, not.  He had a good relationship with his mother for the rest of her life – she died in 1910.  However, his mother’s relationship, later, with his wife Carrie was much less happy, and this must have caused some family tensions.

- We know that Kipling's wife was American. Was it difficult for them to foster mutual understanding because of this fact?

No, Kipling lived in America, 1892-96, and became quite well assimilated into local society, and enjoyed the company of American friends.  One must remember that America, in the 1890s, was still largely WASP (White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant), especially in the north-east states of New England which was the America that Kipling knew.  There were still many people in 1890 whose parents had been born as the subjects of King George III. And so their values were based on the same values as those of Kipling’s grandfather.

- In his book 'the light that failed' he wrote a lot about loneliness. It seems to me that this very feeling was familiar to the author and he wanted to share it with the readers. Is it true?

A good question.  I don’t know The Light that Failed (I’ve never really been able to get on with Kipling’s full length stories – my favorites are the stories he wrote after 1892.)   However. in the years before he wrote The Light that Failed, he had only been intermittently lonely – during his time in Southsea, when his books were his companions and when he was living in India, 1882-1889, with his family, during the hot weather, when his father and mother and sister went to the hills, and he was left alone in their bungalow with only the Indian servants – even at work he was on his own – the editor of the Civil and Military Gazette, the only other European on the staff had also gone to the hills.  So yes, he was familiar with loneliness.  I would have doubted that he “wanted to share it with the readers”, but it was presumably appropriate for the plot of the story he was trying to tell, and because of his experience, he was able to give expression to it.

- What was his relationship with other writers? Particularly with Stevenson and Wilde?

He admired Stevenson enormously, and twice tried to get to the South Pacific to visit him – once in 1891, when Kipling was in New Zealand, but there were no regular shipping lines running to Samoa, and he could not find a coasting schooner to take him there: and next year, 1892, while on his honeymoon with Carrie, they had got as far as Japan, intending to go on to the South Pacific and Samoa, when they ran out of money (their bank failed), so they never got there, and Stevenson died two years later.

As for Wilde, I don’t know. So far as I am aware, Kipling never actually met Wilde, but he did write disparagingly about the aesthetic types whom Wilde represented – “But I consort with long-haired things / In velvet collar-rolls / who talk about the aims of Art / and “theories” and “goals” / And moo and coo with women-folk / About their blessed souls.”  That describes Wilde very well.