Cities on Volcanoes, Puerto Varas, Chile, 20-25 November 2016.
Abstract submission deadline: 15 July 2016.

Session S1.8 Using arts for volcano risk communication.
Leaders: Ilan Kelman and Carina Fearnley (with help from Ellie Cosgrave).

We invite you to submit an abstract to our Cities on Volcanoes 9 Session S1.8 'Using arts for volcano risk communication'.

Many volcano-related programmes and activities for education, preparedness, and disaster risk reduction policy and practice are developed and progressed through linear depictions involving factual expressions of words. Yet many other forms of communication exist and are viable. Artistic expression, in particular, can seek deeper explanations where language alone falls short. By leveraging the power of art for accessing and garnering interest in initiatives, action for volcano-related risk reduction (and beyond) can be encouraged. Art becomes a powerful communication and education tool fostering connections, providing everyone with the opportunity to become an ‘expert’ for themselves and for their communities.

To explore the potential and actuality of art-based and artistic-based approaches for living with volcanoes, this session invites submissions on poetry, fiction, dance, sculpture, paintings, photography, videography / film, theatre, and any other form or combination of art, performative and non-performative. The session is open for performances, readings, and presentations. The art or art process could be used, explored, or theorised with respect to volcanoes and living with them. Historical examples, contemporary initiatives, and future ideas are all welcome along with non-volcano instances which could be applied to volcanoes.

Our session is part of Symposium 1: Volcanoes Risk Reduction
The conference website is http://www.citiesonvolcanoes9.com/en

We look forward to seeing you in Chile!

Ilan Kelman