One other issue with Red Cross donations is where they go... on the
Canadian Red Cross site, if a donor chooses "Use Where Needed Most" under
donation options instead of "Alberta Wildfires", funding goes into the
general fund and can be used for any part of the Red Cross mission (blood
drives, administrative costs, salaries/wages, etc.). All text to support
Red Cross funding drives go into the general fund, etc. When donations are
reported for a disaster, only the amount specifically labelled to go to a
disaster like the wildfires is reported to the media / on the Red Cross
website as donations for this purpose and often the bulk of funds have been
donated to "Where It Is Needed Most", which probably will not be spent on
the disaster the donor was hoping to support. This loophole keeps
transparency and accountability for donations low.

U.S. example of donation choices here - the first two go into general funds
and would not be reported when a large disaster is ongoing and the media /
public is interested in how much the Red Cross has been able to raise for
relief.

Use my donation to support

   - Where It Is Needed Most
   Support all of the urgent humanitarian needs of the American Red Cross.
   Disaster Relief
   Help people affected by disasters big and small.
   Your Local Red Cross
   Provide for local Red Cross programs and services in your community.
   Texas Floods and Tornadoes
   Help those affected by Texas Floods & Tornadoes