While I have no experience with the Canadian Red Cross, experience with its
U.S. counterpart provides precedent worthy of consideration.

The American Red Cross takes in the bulk of all charitable dollars after
disasters, but uses spending practices which are purposely opaque. Having
taken in 32.7% of corporate and foundation dollars in the immediate
aftermath of Katrina and more than half of the donations from individuals
(between $2.1 - 2.7 billion according to different reports), they designed
programs at the national level with negligible levels of local input -
programs which quickly showed themselves to be ill-suited to the needs of
the population they intended to serve. Local Red Cross affiliate staff
vigorously protested national policies.

Efforts to change this programming to make it more responsive to local
realities using evidence-based assessments met with resistance at the
national level, but did eventually produce reforms - a process that took 18
- 24 months. Other NGOs were nimbler in their adaptations and showed
greater humility when facing the need to adapt. As time passed, continued
criticism resulted in a protectionist instinct and the organization turned
inwards to focus on 'brand' and legacy. Furious efforts to spend down
Katrina accounts and shut down programming generating controversy ended
this foray into recovery.

Quite interesting is the fact that the Red Cross takes in more funding than
it can effectively give out, so in terms of recovery (not response/relief)
it becomes a donor to other NGOs - providing grants (many to further Red
Cross goals which the organization then also takes credit for, and others
to completely independent and original projects - many of which have been
groundbreaking in past disasters). Within the NGO community, the additional
Red Cross role of donor further exacerbates tensions over donations and
brings in issues of control over NGO agenda-setting.

https://www.propublica.org/article/red-cross-ceo-has-been-misleading-about-donations

http://www.npr.org/2014/10/29/359365276/on-superstorm-sandy-anniversary-red-cross-under-scrutiny

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/04/368453320/red-cross-misstates-how-donors-dollars-are-spent

http://foundationcenter.org/gainknowledge/research/pdf/katrina_report_2006.pdf

Laura Olson
Georgetown University, Emergency and Disaster Management Program