To: PSCI-COM members

INVITATION TO REGISTER FOR 2016 ONLINE SHORT COURSE IN SCIENCE COMMUNICATION AT STELLENBOSCH UNIVERSITY

Interested in a professional development opportunity in the field of science communication and public science engagement, focusing on the challenges of the developing world?

Registration is now open for the 2016 online short course in science communication at Stellenbosch University, South Africa.

More than 120 communicators and researchers from the developing world completed this course successfully during 2015. Please scroll down to read what participants from Nigeria, India, Ghana, Uganda and South Africa said about the course.

The next course kicks off on 1 September 2016 and will run for 12 weeks. The first six weeks are devoted to thematic content and discussions, followed by 6 weeks for a practical project.

The six themes are:

1.            Setting the scene for public science communication and engagement: Reflection, definitions and rationale

2.            Platforms and role players in public science engagement

3.            Practical skills for the science communication professional

4.            Innovation in science communication: digital engagement and creative approaches

5.            Science communication (and public science engagement) as a field of research

6.            Global voices and beacons in science communication

The course is 100% online (i.e. there is no need to travel to Stellenbosch) and participants may access course materials and work on the weekly assignments when it is convenient for them. Participants must have access to a reliable and reasonably fast and stable internet connection, in order to be able to download the multimedia components of the class and participate in online forums.

The course will be presented through the web-based learning management system of Stellenbosch University. Successful participation will require five to six hours per week, adding up to 30 – 36 hours over a period of six weeks. Participants should plan to spend at least another 10 – 15 hours on the final practical assignment. Upon successful completion of the course students will receive a certificate of competence from Stellenbosch University.

The enrolment fee is R7 000 for South African citizens and US$500 for students who are not South African citizens. Places are limited and will be allocated on a "first-paid-first-served" basis. Students will not be given access to the course platform unless their fees are paid.

Participants must have a recognised university bachelor's degree or relevant tertiary diploma.

The closing date to apply is 1 August 2016

This course is presented by the Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology (CREST) at Stellenbosch University, the home of a DST-NRF Research Chair in Science Communication. Science communication researcher Marina Joubert will present the course, assisted by fellow researchers and experienced science communication practitioners.

Link to online application form: http://apps.sun.ac.za/SCD/ApplicationForm.aspx?offeringid=b5bec07f-4245-e411-94db-0050568000ff

Note: click on "General Public" if you do not have a Stellenbosch University staff or student number. Click on "SU Member" if you have a Stellenbosch University staff or student number (past or present).

If you need any further information, please contact Rolene Langford – [log in to unmask]

Find out more at http://www0.sun.ac.za/scicom/?page_id=3348