Dear Colleagues

I would be grateful if you could bring the following postdoctoral opportunity in the Department of Management Science at Lancaster University to the attention of suitable candidates.

Many thanks, Kevin Glazebrook

Research Associate in Applied Probability/Stochastic Modelling
Management Science
Salary:   £26,537 to £30,738
Closing Date:   Tuesday 10 May 2016
Interview Date:   Thursday 09 June 2016
Reference:  A1497

Mathematical Models and Algorithms for Allocating Scarce Airport Resources (OR-MASTER) is a Programme Grant funded by the Engineering and Physical Science Research Council, UK (EPSRC) involving Lancaster University and Queen Mary University, London (QMUL).  The Programme runs for six years from October 2015, with a total of GBP 2.8million funding.

At Lancaster, OR-MASTER will be undertaken by the Centre for Transport and Logistics (CENTRAL) Research (a newly established Research Centre in the Department of Management Science), and will link into existing Operational Research-related development initiatives and expertise such as: the STOR-i Doctoral Training Centre and the Lancaster Data Science Institute.  Professor Konstantinos G. Zografos at Lancaster University is the Principal Investigator and overall Programme Director.  Professors Kevin Glazebrook (Lancaster) and Edmund Burke (QMUL) are the two Programme Co-Investigators.  Professor Burke leads the OR-MASTER Programme at QMUL.
The Programme represents a strong partnership between academia, the air transport industry and policy makers.  Over the six years of the Programme, OR-MASTER will involve close collaboration with a host of international organisations that will support the project, providing real-world data, insights and expertise.  Our partners are National Air Traffic Services (NATS) in the UK; Eurocontrol (managing air traffic across Europe); Park Air Systems; KLM Air France; Zurich Airport and Athens International Airport; the research organisations linked to the national air navigation services for Italy and Spain (SICTA and CRIDA); SESAR (Single European Sky research body); the Airport Services Association; Goldair Handling; ACI Europe (Airports Council International); the HALA! SESAR network of leading researchers in Europe working in the area of Air Traffic Management automation; NEXTOR II (National Centre of Excellence for Aviation Operations Research); the MIT International Centre for Air Transport Research (MIT-ICAT) in the USA; and DLR, the German Airspace Research Centre.
Over the six years of the project, OR-MASTER will develop new mathematical models and algorithms for solving complex, large-scale airport resource allocation problems.  Our ultimate goal is to develop decision support capabilities for airport capacity allocation and management. To achieve our objectives we seek to recruit world-leading post-doctoral researchers (Research Associates) with ambition, potential and determination.  We will also be seeking to find and nurture the brightest and most able research students to join us, undertaking imaginative and transformative programmes of doctoral study related to the OR-MASTER vision. OR-MASTER is a highly collaborative Programme.  Each Research Associate and PhD student working on the project at Lancaster University will have at least one other ‘buddy partner’ at the QMUL with whom they will collaborate, supported by visits to the partner site.  RAs and PhDs will also have opportunities to visit and collaborate with the industrial and academic organisations affiliated with the project. Research staff will also have opportunities to guide the direction of the research, where appropriate, and to make use of the extensive opportunities for career development and advancement that this large ambitious Programme offers.
We are looking for an outstanding applied probabilist/stochastic modeller to join the OR-MASTER team for a fixed term of three years. You will work under the direction of Professor Kevin Glazebrook to develop and analyse stochastic models to meet the programme’s need for  optimizing airport declared capacity and for assessing the delays  experienced at airports and networks of airports.  This work will require both a capacity for theoretical innovation and high level computing skills.
The main activities  will include:-
 - Innovative research investigation under the OR-MASTER project
 - Collaborative activities with OR-MASTER affiliated organisations and participation in project events (e.g. stakeholder workshops)
 - Preparation of research papers
 - Preparation and presentation of conference papers
 - Other duties associated with the OR-MASTER project
Informal enquiries to Professor Kevin D. Glazebrook – email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, tel: +44 (0)1524 592697 and Professor Konstantinos G. Zografos - email: <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>,  tel: +44 (0)1524 592384
All applications should be made online via Lancaster University’s HR portal. Use the link <https://hr-jobs.lancs.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?id=3140&forced=1> https://hr-jobs.lancs.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?id=3140&forced=1 We welcome applications from people in all diversity groups.