Dear all,

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but I can't think of any where else, so here goes.

MFDs are becoming more common for public printing.

Today, we have gone live with print management from our PC booking system to MFDs.

It proved technically fine in testing, but we have hit a couple of unexpected issues with the MFDs with users copying on them at the same time as we are releasing prints to it.

a) Prints get interspersed with the users copying of single sheets.

We have reset the MFD print and copy outputs to different trays - but not all our MFDs have a secondary output.

b) If a user is copying single sheets (so each page is a separate job to the print engine) and a print job is sent to the MFD, the copying function pauses, causing consternation to the user doing copying. We are investigating if we can prioritise Copy over Print on the MFDs,

c) If print users walk up to the MFD to collect a print, a user copying looks bemused as to why they should be going near their copying (as they perceive it).

So far the only technical fix we've found is the separate output trays (where available). The rest seems to be staff and user education - e.g. don't release a print if s user is on the copier (could be a long time...), put warning notices up for users to expect this, etc.

We generally only have one MFD per site and so can't split the copy and print functions between machines.

Can anyone state with certainty any solutions to these issues - or add to them?

Regards

JU

John Usher
ICT Manager
Library and Heritage Service
Islington Council
Central Library
2 Fieldway Crescent
LONDON N5 1PF
Tel: 020 7527 6920
Mobile: 07825 098 223
Fax: 020 7527 6906
Alternative contact: Michelle Gannon 020 7527 6907

www.islington.gov.uk<http://www.islington.gov.uk>

This e-mail is intended for the addressee only. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer. Please be aware that information in this email may be confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright protected.