From: An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chopra, Vijay
Sent: 10 May 2016 09:25
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [lis-e-resources] Regarding Discovery Software of EDS and Summon

Last time we looked at them, we found that both actually used the same underlying technology: Apache Solr (http://lucene.apache.org/solr/ ) which is open source and, indeed, also used in various free software projects such as VuFind (http://vufind-org.github.io/vufind/ ) that I see you already use.

So neither is objectively better as they both use largely the same search engine under the hood, so it's more a case of who's offering the better deal to you and what fits better with your existing services. The actual search results will probably be almost, if not exactly identical.

Kind regards,
Vijay Chopra
Learning Centre Advisor

Tel: 023 8057 7307\7409