Apologies for cross-posting

Student engagement research: Participatory workshops

Liz Thomas Associates<http://www.lizthomasassociates.co.uk/> has been commissioned by The Student Engagement Partnership<http://www.tsep.org.uk/> to explore student engagement in the context of commuter students, and to develop an evaluation framework for student engagement.  Both studies are on-going, and as part of our work we would like to invite you to two participatory workshops.  We will share emerging findings, and explore the interpretation, implications and recommendations of the findings with workshop participants, and the discussion will inform the research outputs.  Further details about the studies are below.

The workshops are as follows:

·         Creating an evaluation framework for student engagement: Participatory workshop, National Union of Students, Macadam House, London, 10.30-15.30, 15th June 2016. Book your place here: https://evaluatingstudentengagement.eventbrite.co.uk
·         Student engagement in the context of commuter students: Participatory workshop, London, 10.30 - 15.30, Friends Meeting House, Euston, London, 29th June 2016. Book your place here: http://commuterstudents.eventbrite.co.uk

The workshops are open to staff from all higher education providers & their students' unions in England.  Places are limited and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis and initially will be restricted to two per institution or students' union. These projects and events have been funded and subsidised by the Higher Education Funding Council for England and so we are able to offer places on the workshop days free of charge on this occasion.

1.      Creating an evaluation framework for student engagement. <https://evaluatingstudentengagement.eventbrite.co.uk/>  There is currently a growing need for evidence and evaluation in the higher education sector, which is explicitly reinforced by the White Paper and the Teaching Excellence Framework in particular.  But evaluating the impact of interventions and new approaches is challening in the higher education context due to the range of internal and external, and historical and contemporary factors that contribute to student experiences and outcomes.   Furthermore, 'student engagement' is a broad concept and practice with many dimensions and anticipated benefits.  This study has explored purposes, approaches and challenges regarding monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness and impact of student engagement activities.  In this participatory workshop we will share findings and emerging thinking about how we can evaluate student engagement, and involve workshop participants in developing approaches and tools.

2.      Student engagement in the context of commuter students.<http://commuterstudents.eventbrite.co.uk/>  This study recognises that 'commuter students', who live away from the university or college and travel to attend, may experience challenges in relation to their engagement beyond the classroom.  It seeks to explore how these issues are experienced by students and institutions, and what can be done to improve engagement and student outcomes. In this participatory workshop we will share findings from our research working with nine institutions across England, and emerging thinking about how we can approach these challenges, and involve workshop participants in developing approaches and tools.

We look forward to welcoming you to our events in June - to find out more about The Student Engagement Partnership's upcoming events, find them here: http://tsep.org.uk/events/list/

Best wishes,

Tobin Webb

Tobin Webb | TSEP Consultant
Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> Phone: 07752368345

www.tsep.org.uk The Student Engagement Partnership
Macadam House, 275 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8QB

[cid:image006.png@01CF737D.E3F00D20]

For our email disclaimer, please visit http://www.nus.org.uk/nus-email-disclaimer National Union of Students (United Kingdom), Registered office: Ian King House, Snape Road, Macclesfield, SK10 2NZ Registered in England and Wales. A company limited by guarantee (08015198)

Edge Hill University<http://ehu.ac.uk/home/emailfooter>
Times Higher Education University of the Year 2014/15<http://ehu.ac.uk/unioftheyear/emailfooter>
This message is private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and remove it from your system. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Edge Hill or associated companies. Edge Hill University may monitor email traffic data and also the content of email for the purposes of security and business communications during staff absence.<http://ehu.ac.uk/itspolicies/emailfooter>