Dear colleagues,

Many thanks once again to all who have voiced their support for us in recent weeks after the announcement of proposed staffing reductions in German and in Modern Languages at Nottingham. We are delighted to be able to write to you now with the news that there are to be no compulsory redundancies from German, and indeed no compulsory redundancies from modern languages at all at Nottingham. In German, there will be one redeployment to another part of the school, and one non-replacement of a colleague who is leaving; in addition, our Nottingham Research Fellow will transition to a permanent lectureship in English linguistics, rather than in German as originally planned. Together, these changes address the Faculty Pro-Vice Chancellor Jeremy Gregory's concerns about German's cost base. However, the scale of reductions to German is lower than initially proposed, and we have little doubt that the very strong support from the modern languages community nationally, as well as the information which, with your help, we were able to supply about staff-student ratios at other institutions, were important factors in moderating the initial proposal. Indeed the PVC has acknowledged the "large number of letters and expressions of support for the affected departments from subject associations and University departments across the world" as "testimony to the very high regard in which our departments are held". To everyone who helped us with such demonstrations of support, our warmest and heartfelt thanks. We would also like to thank our local UCU officials, whose work in engaging with the University over the restructuring of the Arts Faculty has been and will continue to be invaluable. Our very warmest thanks too to our undergraduate and postgraduate student community for their vociferous support.

With ten permanent R&T staff and two permanent-part-time language teaching colleagues from September 2016, the German Department at Nottingham remains very strong, and we now look forward to getting back to our daily bread of excellent teaching and research.

Once again, our most sincere  thanks for your support, which not only made a material difference but also helped sustain us all during a very difficult period of uncertainty.

Sincerely,

All in German at the University of Nottingham

Prof. Nicola McLelland
Professor of German and History of Linguistics
Head of the Dept. of German Studies, School of Cultures, Languages and Area Studies
University of Nottingham UK NG7 2RD
+44 (0)115 951 5822
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/clas/people/nicola.mclelland

University of Nottingham.