Colleagues

The deadline for abstract submission for the 2nd European Mineralogical Conference (http://emc2016.socminpet.it/index.php) has been extended until Friday, 13 May 2016, 12 pm Central European Summer Time.

We invite you to contribute to our session (P11) entitled “Crustal melting: from UHP to UHT and from inclusions to intrusions”(see below). The keynote speaker will be Roberto Weinberg, who will discuss “The origin of Himalayan leucogranites and how they interacted with the orogen”

Best regards,
Mike
for Omar Bartoli, Michael Brown and Richard White (conveners)

P11 Crustal melting: from UHP to UHT and from inclusions to intrusions

Information about the process of melting in the deep crust of orogens and the resulting melt transfer to shallow levels is encoded in the microstructures, mineral assemblages and mineral compositions, multiphase solid (former melt) inclusions and whole-rock compositions of metamorphic and igneous rocks. Whether crustal melting in orogens is a closed-system process with respect to mass input from the mantle is an important question that may be addressed by inversion of geochemical data from granites. This session will advance our understanding of crustal melting and the formation of granite over the full range of metamorphic environments, from low to high dT/dP conditions, from subduction to collision, and from orogenic plateaux to accretionary orogens. We encourage submissions on any aspect of crustal melting from all tectonic environments and at all scales.

Michael Brown, Professor of Geology

Department of Geology
Geology Building
8000 Regents Drive
University of Maryland
College Park
MD 20742-4211
USA

office: CHEM 2229B (Chemistry Building, 8051 Regents Drive)
email: mbrown <at> umd.edu
https://www.geol.umd.edu/directory.php?id=10
Dept. office: 301 405 4082; Direct line: 301 405 4080
Dept. fax: 301 314 9661

LABORATORY FOR CRUSTAL PETROLOGY (Information at:
http://www.geol.umd.edu/facilities/LCP/lcp.htm)