Many thanks, Anderson!
Eyesha

Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 09:06:49 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] Statistical analyses- which mean values to use
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi Eyesha,

Please, see below:

On 3 May 2016 at 21:44, Eyesha Younas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Anderson,
Re:  You may want to study the signs of the effect of NP in each group to see if a positive interaction means one of the following:
- NP and DTI have positive relationship in patients, but negative in controls.
- NP and DTI have strongly positive relationship in patients, but weakly positive or zero in controls.
- NP and DTI have weakly negative or zero relationship in patients, but strongly negative in controls.

This follow up analysis can be done with fsl_glm, as only the test statistics are needed (i.e., not the actual p-values).

A few things: 1- I get the 4D images for t-statistics as output of fsl_glm. How do I ascertain the above points with these? 2- For some reason I was unable to use my hand-written matrix with intercept for this part. I switched to the GLM set up gui and set up something as follows (consider 3 controls and 3 patients):

  controls
  patients
  NP
  NP

  EV1
  EV2
  EV3
  EV4

  1
  0
  40
  0

  1
  0
  58
  0

  1
  0
  17
  0

  0
  1
  0
  27

  0
  1
  0
  11

  0
  1
  0
  43

These values are not de-meaned and I am using the demean option with fsl_glm.
Let's not use -demean in this design, as it causes rank-deficiency in this case (it may be fixed internally but we should have the model right, as opposed to depending on the application to fix it).

My contrast is:
0    0    1     -10    0    -1    1
These contrasts are fine with this design to test the interaction, which you do in randomise. Here in fsl_glm we are interested on the signs of each of the EVs separtely, so we want these contrasts:

0 0 1 0
0 0 0 1

Then in the areas where the interaction was found significant with randomise, you check whether these contrasts have positive or negative signs, indicating for each group whether the association of NP and the DTI measure is positive or negative.

All the best,

Anderson

Does this seem alright?
Many thanks for rescuing me.