Von: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Anderson M. Winkler
Gesendet: Dienstag, 17. Mai 2016 08:34
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: [FSL] AW: [FSL] AW: [FSL] AW: [FSL] Bonferroni correction of ICA

Hi Deza,

Please, see below:

On 16 May 2016 at 13:59, Deza Araujo, Yacila Isabela <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Anderson,

I would like to  perform more designs to avoid collinearity,

There is no free lunch: splitting across designs sadly won't fix issues related to collinearity. If A and B are variables that can explain the outcome, both should go in the same design, instead of two designs in which one of them is ignored.

Consider an extreme case: A and B that are so highly correlated to the point of being nearly identical. If both are used in the same design, the result will be that neither is found significant, as the unique contribution of either alone is minimal to explain the data in any way, and we cannot disambiguate the effects of each. Now, put each on its own separate design, and run both, correcting across. Because they are nearly identical, and because PALM takes care of such dependency, both will yield separately nearly identical results, and after correction, there will be almost no change over the uncorrected, as the dependency is almost perfect. It's almost as if having run the same test twice, and PALM isn't sensitive to that (in sharp contrast to Bonferroni), and the ultimate result would have been as if the second regressor had been ignored. But this isn't what you want: as both regressors can explain the data, it isn't correct that one is left out.

It is possible to run multiple competing designs, particularly when different modalities would use different set of EVs (e.g., consider the case of having ICV in the analysis of surface area and also global FA in the analysis of TBSS), but evading collinearity wouldn't be a good justification.

That said, it's possible to use NPC to jointly analyse these two designs (-npccon). Compared to an F-test (single design with both EVs), NPC allows disambiguation of direction, whereas the F-test is always two-tailed.

also corrected across modalities and contrasts. Ithink I should go with PALM again. I did not regress global mean, but my contrast are not orthogonal. Can I still go with Bonferroni? Following your formula, it will be: -log10(0.05/N) = 1.301+log10(4) = 1.90.

The 1.90 is right, but if the contrasts are not orthogonal, they share information (variance) and Bonferroni will be conservative. It's still possible to use, at the cost of power.

My question now would be: What is the rational for using PALM and not randomise? Why is it better to consider each IC as a separate modality?

I know both of your papers describing PALM, but I would like to know where exactly to go deeper in case some reviewers ask for this.

PALM and randomise do similar things, with PALM having a super-set of features (and is more experimental). The hope is that in the future all features in PALM will be in randomise. Currently randomise sees one modality at a time, which is fine if they are all independent (Bonferroni). But if dependencies exist, the loss of power can be substantial.

All the best,

Anderson

Thanks a lot again

Yacila