From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Marie-Eve Hoeppli <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, 28 April 2016 17:53
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [FSL] dealing with correlations between movement parameters and regressors of interest

Hi,

I am running some analyses on BOLD fMRI multiband sequences. We recorded continuous ratings during these sequences. I first downsampled these ratings at a rate of 250ms. I then demeaned them and used those ratings as regressors of interest in my GLM model.
I ran a two-step analysis:
1) feat with only MCFLIRT and registration turned on, followed by extraction of CSF-WM regressors using the feat outputs
2) feat with Fieldmap correction, spatial smoothing, no HPF and CSF-WM regressors as nuisance regressors
I have some interesting signal, but also a lot of noise, mostly posterior. The noise really looks like something due to movements. So I ran some correlations between the motion parameters I got out of step 1 described above and my regressors of interest (downsampled at the same rate as the motion parameters this time). I obtained some low to moderate correlations (average r =.4) . I also checked for correlations between the regressors of interest and a linear drift and I obtained moderate  to high correlations (average r = .6).
I had previously tried to denoise the data using Melodic and HPF, but then there was close to no signal left.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise me on how to denoise my data without losing my signal.

Thank you.

Best,
Marie-Eve