Hi Ella,

I am no expert and just an undergrad student have been working with ICA for
a while so I think I can help you a little bit.

1.
Have you try to run ICA (by using FEAT) with the spatial filtering option
first then using ICA-AROMA on the filtered data (with the -md option point
to the ICA result directory to avoid ICA-AROMA run ICA again. This will
reduce the number of components. Base on your experimental design and what
you expect, you can change the value of FWHM but for me, I usually use 5mm.

2.
I haven't found any paper mention the effect of reducing number of
components but I will not advise you to do so, some of my useful
information appear in IC number 78 (over 112 ICs). As long as you want to
retain as much as information, try not to reduce number of IC.

3.
I dont know which machine you are using but I had use an 2010 Macbook (8GB
RAM, Core Duo 2, which is very slow, of course) to run fsl_regfilt for a
data with had 278 ICs so you better check again, maybe, just maybe, the
memory is not the problem here.

Feel free to tell me if I can help you with any information.

Best regards,
Khoi