I finally watched the video, and I LOVE the theatrics... And the Cameos! This will get an airing at our Journal club this week.

More seriously, while I completely agree that there needs to be more emphasis on shared discussion and less on directing this or that course of action, I also have to say I've been startled Dwyer discussing recent and, I think, well researched guidelines, to hear people (who I THINK would espouse support of EBM), knock the guidelines for their CONCLUSIONS, without engaging a discussion of their evidence base. Cases in point: 2013 cholesterol guidelines, and the recent USPSTF ASA guideline - both with good evidence reviews, both with (I think) appropriate discussions of shared decisions. They may not be perfect, but they seem to be about the best we can get to. (Conversely, the recent CDC opiate guideline is a particularly "good" example of over extrapolation from weak evidence to over-strong directives.

Hmmm..... It seems we have (with apologies to Q) a "Continuum" of guidelines!

LLAP

Bill Cayley, Jr, MD MDiv
Work: 715.286.2270
Pager: 715.838.7940
Home: 715.830.0932
Mobile: 715.828.4636

"I think some of the most celebrated moments in human achievement should be those times when everything is going against a person and they are down in the dumps but they simply choose to get up. That's real greatness."   -- Ryan Hall