From 1st June, please contact me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

From: ESOL-Research discussion forum and message board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of James Simpson
Sent: 12 May 2016 06:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: literacy materials and activities

Hello all
Oliva Moors in Belgium asks for information about the following:

*         Materials and projects with examples of functional reading activities on themes such as health-work-transport; activities and assessments for such reading;

*         Literacy courses for people without foundational first language literacy, and also for those who are literate but in non-latin-based writing systems.
She is looking for examples for the teaching of Dutch and Flemish to adult migrants, but wants to know what is out there relating to ESOL.
My best recommendation is Spiegel and Sunderland's book on teaching beginner L2 literacy to adults:
Spiegel, M. and Sunderland H. (2006) Teaching Basic Literacy to ESOL Learners. London: LLU+
Some information on the BBC Nexus site, no longer being updated, including this article by Judy Kirsh:
http://esol.britishcouncil.org/content/teachers/staff-room/teaching-articles/working-esol-learners-basic-literacy-needs
There might be some useful examples from around the world in the 'practice' chapters of our recent book: Adult Language Education and Migration: Challenging Agendas in Policy and Practice
http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415733595
We used to direct people to the Talent website, but that is no longer being updated either. Materials that were on Talent are now on
http://www.excellencegateway.org.uk/
I'm sure practitioners will have other ideas.
Cheers
James

Dr James Simpson
Senior Lecturer (Language Education)
School of Education
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT
T: +44 (0)113 343 4687
W: www.education.leeds.ac.uk/people/staff/academic/simpson<http://www.education.leeds.ac.uk/people/staff/academic/simpson>

*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

The British Council is the United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. A registered charity: 209131 (England and Wales) SC037733 (Scotland).
This message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it.
The British Council accepts no liability for loss or damage caused by viruses and other malware and you are advised to carry out a virus and malware check on any attachments contained in this message.