Thanks for this, and for your previous analysis.

You may already be aware of the rather long thread dealing with some of the issues you mention, beginning at [0]. On my reading, the "classes"/"instances" issue makes the bulk of SHACL validation behavior undefined. It is unclear, across the board, under what conditions a resource counts as a `sh:Shape`. For similar reasons, it is sometimes unclear when a shape has matches or filters given focus node or is satisfied by a given graph. This is exacerbated if the `sh:entailment` statement is used. Though this was discussed rather thoroughly in the linked thread, I don't think the latest editor's draft addresses the issue significantly.

---

A few other thoughts:

One could perhaps sidestep the issue by dropping _all_ consideration of
> inferencing from the normative SHACL specification; saying only that there may
> be a need for inferencing in a pre-processing phase; then discussing those
> pre-processing options in a separate guidance document.  Putting inferencing
> out of scope would make the SHACL spec simpler, clearer, and shorter.

Except where `sh:entailment` is used, I think the specification essentially does this; or at least means to, in Section 1.3 [1]. My understanding is that what are referred to as "classes" and "instances" in SHACL have only a fleeting relationship to those concepts as defined in RDFS. The problems I see are that the use of the language is misleading and inconsistent (sometimes the RDFS definitions seem to be implied[2]), and that the specialized SHACL definitions of the terms are underspecified.

I understand the basic usage to be based on pattern matching over a closed pair of graphs, in the way you suggest, but which patterns count and in which cases they must appear in the data graph vs. the shapes graph (or when the engine will recognise either) is indiscernible to me.  If this were all clearly laid out, I think many of your concerns would disappear:

  - Expressing transitive closures on subClassOf would be somewhat unwieldy, but it would essentially reduce to ensuring the necessary triples were in the right places.
  - SHACL would not be at odds with related specs; as you say, it would simply be largely orthogonal to anything above the level of RDF Abstract Syntax.
  - Open World issues wouldn't entirely disappear, but they would be easily contained: It is still necessary to ensure the SHACL terms themselves don't leak meaning onto non-SHACL resources.

A year ago, it was proposed that an abstract syntax be developed for SHACL [4].
> There was little discussion and the issue remains open but neglected.  Since
> SHACL is natively expressed in RDF, its abstract syntax is in effect the
> abstract syntax for RDF.  It is not clear to me whether this is actually a good
> idea.  If a Shapes Graph only exists to be used in a closed-world process
> validating a Data Graph, what is the specific advantage of expressing it in
> RDF?  Might a proper abstract syntax for SHACL, based on its own BNF, etc,
> further focus and clarify the SHACL language?

I have mixed feelings here... I see a few benefits to expressing SHACL as RDF: (1) shapes expressed in RDF are easily shared over the same (Linked Data) infrastructure already used by the community; (2) the language itself is somewhat bootstrapped by using an existing abstract syntax, with benefits for both SHACL implementers (can use existing parsers, etc...) and shapes authors (shapes are expressed).

---

That was all a bit disconnected, but it's my first day back from vacation, so I'm giving myself a pass. Hopefully it's useful feedback for you in discussing your concerns with the Shapes WG.

Thanks again for your efforts on this,

Tom

[0] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-data-shapes-wg/2016Mar/0061.html
[1] http://w3c.github.io/data-shapes/shacl/#shacl-rdfs