​​Dear all,

 The Critical Race and Ethnicities Network (CREN) are delighted to announce a Call for Papers for our second Annual Conference, due to take place onThursday 21st October 2016. For more details, please see below.

​​

Call For Papers

CREN CONFERENCE 2016:

"Intersectional Interventions: Connecting oppression anywhere to oppression everywhere"

Confirmed keynote: Gurminder K. Bhambra

Thursday 21st October 2016

Humanities Research Institute, University of Sheffield

DEADLINE JUNE 18TH 2016

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly" (MLK, letter from a Birmingham jail)

…I know I cannot afford the luxury of fighting one form of oppression only. I cannot afford to believe that freedom from intolerance is the right of only one particular group. And I cannot afford to choose between the fronts upon which I must battle these forces of discrimination, wherever they appear to destroy me. And when they appear to destroy me, it will not be long before they appear to destroy you.

(Audre Lorde, “There is no hierarchy of oppressions”)

The Critical Race and Ethnicities Network (CREN) invites researchers and community organisers working in the broad field of critical race and ethnicities to participate in this one day conference.

The aim of the 2016 conference is to think critically about how multiple and intersecting forms of oppression call for multivalent, intersectional and creative responses, as part of the move towards “dismantling the master’s house”.

Some topics for discussion might include, but are not limited to:

·         Critical race studies

·         Islamophobia and/or Racism

·         Critical methodologies

·         Critical mixed race studies

·         Race and Gender

·         Critical Race, Sexuality and Queerness Studies

·         Deconstructing Borders and Migration

·         Race activism

·         Postcolonial and Decolonial theory and praxis

·         Intersectionality

·         Race, Ethnicity and Religion

We invite any panels, papers and other innovative presentation styles (e.g. poetry, videos, etc.) from across the disciplines that address these themes. Presentations should be no longer than 20 minutes, and panels 60 minutes.

We are seeking work that addresses the challenge of holisitically responding to multiple oppressions, whether through theoretical, practical, or creative action. An example of this includes but is not limited to, how all Black lives matter including Queer, immigrant and female Black lives; or the need for combined conversations with the Black Lives Matter and the anti-Islamophobia movements amongst other pertinent examples.

We would particularly welcome contributions from local activist groups, and researchers whose work broaches the academic/activist binaries.

The deadline for this call is June 18th 2016.

Please email a 300 word abstract, and 150 word biography to [log in to unmask]

For more information, visit our website www.cren.org.uk

Beth Wangari Kamunge,
Doctoral Researcher,
Department of Geography,
The University of Sheffield,
Winter Street,
Sheffield,
S10 2TN.

Department of Geography PG Forum rep (2015/16)

Co-founder (October 2014) and facilitator (Sep 2015-present) of the Geographies of Food Reading Group- The University of Sheffield.

Committee member (January 2015- present) Critical Race and Ethnicity Network (CREN).