We do ourselves and our junior colleagues a disservice if we fail to REALISTICALLY discuss the academic labour market before we take on new PhD students.  This is just one of many recent articles about the situation (in North America at least).

http://gawker.com/the-horrifying-reality-of-the-academic-job-market-1776914525

Lawrence
—
Lawrence D. Berg BA (dist.), MA, DPhil
Professor | Critical Geography
Leader | Social, Spatial & Economic Justice Research Cluster
The Institute for Community Engaged Research
Human Geography | Urban Studies | Interdisciplinary Graduate Studies
Community, Culture, & Global Studies | The University of British Columbia
Arts 365-372 | 1147 Research Road | Kelowna, BC, Canada, V1V 1V7
Phone +1 250 807 9392
Email: [log in to unmask]<file:[log in to unmask]>
Web I: http://ccgs.ok.ubc.ca/faculty/berg.html
Web II: http://ubc.academia.edu/LawrenceBerg
Web III: http://icer.ok.ubc.ca/welcome.html

Editor: ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies
http://www.acme-journal.org<http://www.acme-journal.org/>

Joint Faculties Representative: Okanagan Senate

[cid:2B685DAC-A709-43E9-9628-AFB6985DC3F5@hitronhub.home]
UBC Okanagan Campus is located on un-ceded Syilx territories